Sunday, February 15, 2015

Aria by Richard Rodriguez





After reading the article Aria by Richard Rodriguez I felt really bad for Richard and his family to have to change their family values and culture for the sake of their children to become "Americanized" and fit in. As I was reading this I looked back a few times in my past when I did not understand why they accepted people who did not speak English in America. I remember a few times talking to an operator on the phone and becoming frustrated with them because I could not understand a word they were speaking and I made them put someone on the phone that spoke English in a way that I could understand what they were saying. This was totally wrong for me to do. What gave me the right to expect someone who just has a different background than I do adjust to what I can understand and how I spoke English. I felt really bad for Richard that he was somehow categorized as someone with a special need just because he did not know English. Then his nuns forced him into the language by making him have special assistance class time through out the school year so that he could learn to speak English. This would make anyone feel segregated from society especially a young kid. The Untied States does not have a primary language, so teachers or nuns forcing this on students of different cultures is wrong. This is another example of teachers expecting students to change when the teachers should be the ones accommodate the classroom and the curriculum so that ALL students can learn no matter what race they are, language they speak, or gender they are. This point makes me connect it to the Delpit article where in the article "The Silenced Dialogue"


it tells the readers how teachers should learn to hear students not just listen.




                                       

5 comments:

  1. I liked how you connected this article to Delpit! I didn't even make that connection until I read your blog and noticed it. Really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your personal connection. We are supposed to be a "free country." Forcing a family to do something that they don't want to do is not freedom whatsoever. Overall, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like all your pictures, especially the Delpit one, it is 100% true, if only Delpit was there to tell that to Richard's teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your connection to the article, and how you were able to realize that you were wrong in getting frustrated with the operator. I also really love your first cartoon. It shows how much people don't seem to care about teaching bilingual students, and how wrong that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually used the same photo for my blog--how funny! I agree, I also loved your personal connection and your feelings towards the piece. Awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete